SHORT HAIR SOUNDS







Hello hello! If you follow me on Instagram, you'll know that I recently chopped off a lot of hair and made the somewhat terrifying decision to get bangs for the first time in over 15 years. I'm taking strides!

I've had a bob like this a few times. Actually, this haircut was my go-to for the better part of the last five years, since I rarely let my hair grow far beyond my shoulders. But in the last year or so, I began to really enjoy my long hair. Particularly this summer, I started to realize the potential of having long, curly blonde hair like mine: it was the ultimate romantic, high renaissance accessory. I've often joked that my personal style can sometimes best be described as the attire of a young prince. I've always been draw to romantic details: eyelet lace, gold, brocade... if  I could raid Louis XIV's wardrobe, I would say let me have at it immediately.

As my hair got longer, I became more and more engaged with this idea of romance and dressing. But at a certain point in November, I knew it was time to go short again, and a couple of weeks ago I was gripped by a vigorous, reckless need to just chop of all my hair as soon as possible. So, I booked an appointment for the next day and went to bed feeling nervous (I woke up feeling nervous, too). I was both scared that I would hate having my hair short again, but I was also worried that I would miss dressing like a princess (ha!). I knew that the hair cut would come with a bit of an attitude adjustment.

With my long hair and romantic outfits, I would listen to opera and sonatas to get me in the flowy glowy mood. Now, with my bangs and my bob, I'm tuned in to a more modern masculine-feminine balance. Naturally, my music needed to be updated with my hair.

Drawing upon the starlets of French New Wave film and an 80s rock n roll vibe, I've made a new playlist dedicated to dressing with short hair. Give it a listen and let me know what you think! And if you have any suggestions for additions to the playlist, send them my way.



2 comments:

  1. Haha, I loved this post because I've been through the same thing as you. When I was in China just a few months back I got that same urge to chop it all off! My hair was about past shoulder length so it was a pretty considerable amount too. I think i'm gonna go back to longish hair again because I've realised short hair makes me look young - something I'm not into

    Great blog btw, l've subbed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny lots of people have seen me with this 'do and said that it's my transition-into-adulthood look, but I often feel like I look like a little boy!

    Thanks for reading :~)

    ReplyDelete