CONCERT











    ***
All layered up for an outdoor concert! But what's underneath the layers?
***






This afternoon, I went to an outdoor concert to see the ALLAH-LAS play. I knew it was going to be chilly, as it's been cold and gray all day today. I also knew that I was going to go to the studio after the concert to clean up some work I've been doing this past week. I was faced with the challenge of looking concert ready, being warm, and ultimately being able to do studio work in whatever I ended up wearing, all at the same time.

The answer? Layer, layer, layer. I started with a base of my studio uniform and added two pieces on top of that: the first was a black sweatshirt with artwork by Nathaniel Russell on the front. The image reads "RESIST FEAR/ASSIST LOVE." I'm not one to wear sweatshirts outside of the PJ context, but this is one that I treasure, and it makes me feel strong and protected at the same time. I also really love this sweatshirt because Nathaniel made the PDF of this design free to the public around the time of the election and inauguration. All of my friends got together and printed a bunch of stuff (posters, bags, shirts, pull overs, bed sheets, etc.), so this sweatshirt sort of feels emblematic of our cohort, too. On top of the sweatshirt, I added my burgundy velvet blazer, which I usually keep adorned with a rotating cast of pins. Today, I'm sporting a square brooch made of stamped clay and a little brooch of two little ladies' heads.

As soon as I got to the studio, I stripped off all those layers (I was getting hot anyway) and got to work. Bada-bing bada-boom: back in my studio uniform! Natalie recently wrote about the virtues of uniform dressing for work, and clearly I'm in her camp. I love the way that a uniform can not only work as something you wear every day, but also as a versatile base that pivots as you need it to. Uniform dressing is a great way to keep things simple and to expand the potential for an outfit to last throughout the day.

Let me know what your uniform looks like!






No comments:

Post a Comment